#1 What are some of the behaviors of effective classroom managers as described in the Texas and Kounin studies?
Effective classroom management is so critical to develop. I know that as I have begun teaching this past semester, it has been the one area I find truly overwhelming. I want to be a great teacher, but I really struggled to manage twenty-six fourth graders.
One of the ideas suggested in this article is that classroom management "cannot be separated from the other functions of teaching." It must be part of the teaching. Half of the battle of classroom management is won when you can implement effective teaching practices. A lesson that creates a learning environment and maintains student cooperation will minimize discipline problems because the students will be engaged in the lesson.
On the flip side, if you do not have adequate management of your classroom, you cannot have an effective instruction. Teaching and management work together. When both are in line, great lessons occur. If one is failing, the other will as well.
So how can we accomplish both tasks? The article provides great feedback on strategies that work. First of all, in the Kounin studies, teachers were most effective who had well-conceived activities that flowed smoothly. In addition, they had great group management and developed instructional procedures that ran smoothly. The Texas studies also provide great feedback. The most effective teachers were those who:
-had procedures that governed behavior (i.e. talking, participation, turning in work, etc.)
-Had clear and concise instructions for students
-handled misbehavior quickly
-monitored student progress
Thursday, April 12, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
you should write a blog a little more about your own life and quit being so boring.
jared
Post a Comment