Thursday, April 5, 2007

Grabe Assignment

#1 What is the Big Six and how should it be used?

The Big Six is a set of steps students can follow in order to come to a solution. This steps include: task definition, information seeking, locating and accessing, use of information, organizing and communicating, and evaluation.

Initially, as I read through the steps it reminded me of the scientific method. I can still remember that goofy song my 7th grade science teacher made me memorize. As I continued reading about the big six, it reminded me of the process of writing a paper. However, I feel these steps can be incorporated into solving many different types of problems.

These steps are most useful when done in order. If you do not adequately fulfill one requirement, you may have difficulty moving forward. For example, the first task is to define the problem. What is it that you need to find out or accomplish? If you do not properly define your task you will have difficulty in the next step : information seeking. You will not be able to find the answer if you have not yet defined the problem.

1 comment:

Abree Mattinson said...

I loved how you compared the big six to the scientific method and then to writing a paper. I think you are absolutely right! These steps would be very effective in solving many prolems effectively.